Happy New Year.

Happy New Year to everyone out there. I know we are in lockdown again but look on the brightside, more time to sew, more time to plan the garden and we don’t have to go out in the cold weather, it looks like we are in for some very cold weather, in some parts of Leicestershire this morning it was snowing quite heavily. (Not here in Syston of course!)

I have, yet again made the same New Year resolution as I have for the last 20 odd years. Use up my fabric stash and not buy any more fabric!!! What a stupid resolution to make, I’m obviously not going to keep it. Although last year I did use up about 10 pieces from the stash, the only problem is I bought quite a few new ones which didn’t make it into the stash book!!! Maybe I should use my free time to update the stash book? No, get some sewing done!

I, like most of you out there, buy fabric which I either like the colour or the feel of. It’s only when I get it home that I start to think about how I’m going to make it up. This happened when I got the new silky feel polyester satin in the shop just before Christmas. I had received a sample card of this fabric from the company I bought it from a few months ago and love the feel of it. When the stock arrived I just had to have some of both colours. I thought it would look great under my suits when I’m teaching.

I have been sorting out all the Burda patterns I have drafted from the monthly books I get and came across this pattern, from 2007.

I have made this shirt several times but always from a stretch cotton. The silky satin is quite a different challenge. So, I set to, and cut the shirt out. It was very well behaved considering how fine the fabric is, but the challenge was how to interface it without making it too stiff. You may remember me telling you about some new stretch fusible interfacing which we had in stock in December. Although I had tried this interfacing out on lots of scraps of different stretch fabrics before we had it in stock I hadn’t made a garment using it. So this was my chance. I like to start with the difficult bits first, so, I opted for the lightweight version of the stretch interfacing and I fused it to both sides of the collar, before making it up. I find this interfacing really easy to apply using the techniques in my video for applying fusible interfacings. It sticks very quickly, and stays stuck, no matter how much you stretch the fabric. The points of the collar turned very easily, this can be a difficult task with such sharp points.

The collar  looks really good, this interfacing has added enough body to give the fabric some shape without losing the softness which first attracted me to it.

Now, all I have to do is make the rest of the shirt up!! I’ll post a picture once it’s all done.