Happy New Year everyone,
In the last post, I was trying to decide what to wear for the New Year’s Eve dinner & dance we were going to. I had a problem in that at midnight we had to go outside on to the patio of the hotel we were staying at to watch the fireworks. The Zandra Rhodes jacket I had made for the occasion did not go with my outfit & of course I couldn’t possibly wear a coat that didn’t match my outfit!
Any way I had a nice surprise a couple of days before we went away. I was looking through a spare wardrobe, which I store my evening clothes in. I came across this jacket which I had made a few years ago.
I have never worn this jacket as when I finished it, it turned out to be too small for me. I have used it for a display on my stand at the NEC for the Sewing for Pleasure exhibition. I thought I would give it a try & lo & behold it fitted like a glove. All those days of doing 10,000 steps have paid off. I’ve been doing it for 3 years now. This spured me on to look at a few other things in the wardrobe which again were too small. Amazingly I have several things I can now get in to.
So, on New Years Eve I loaned the Red Zandra Rhodes jacket to Wendy & I went outside with this lovely warm jacket on. It is trimmed with fur around the edges & the high neckline on it means the fur is right around my neck & ears. The main fabric is one I used from my stash. It’s pure wool. I bought it at Laxey Mill on the Isle of Man. I went all around the mill where they had hundreds of different wollen fabrics & this was the very impractical one I loved. I don’t know why I bothered about the jackets not matching what I was wearing, when I saw what most people had on.
So another New Year starts, as usual I have a half hearted resolution. To use up more fabric from the stash than I buy. Last year I managed to reduce the stash by about 10 pieces. I have also done some tidying up in my workroom at home. The interfacings shelf is now clear so I know exactly what I have. I’ve also cleared out a couple of drawers.
My sewing projects have been put on hold this week as when we got back on New Years Day I found that my very full freezer had gone wrong . When I rang the repair man, I was told that my freezer had broken down at a very busy time of the year. I didn’t know there was a busy time for things to go wrong. Maybe next time I could arrange for it to go wrong at a less busy time! Anyway they aren’t coming to fix it until Monday. I had to plead to get it for Monday. In the meantime I have a freezer full of food defrosting. So we have spent every evening this week cooking all sorts of things so we can refreeze them in a friends freezer. Some of the meals we have had have also been interesting. Still, looking on the bright side our freezer will be clear & with all the cooking we have already done I won’t have to do much cooking for the rest of January, we can eat out of the freezer once it has been repaired. So there will be plenty of time for sewing. Wendy has already ordered a new suit for the NEC show, although she has changed her mind about the style she wants & the fabric out of the stash. I’ll let you know what she decides.